Educators in Private Practice Professional Liability Insurance
As an educator in today’s world, one must protect themselves against an array of vulnerabilities and threats. Our Educators in Private Practice insurance policy provides professional liability coverage for independent contractors – protecting the educator against damages resulting from a negligent act, error or omission.
- $1M/$5M limit of liability
- $50,000 limit for reimbursement of attorney fees on criminal claims
- $1,000 limit per bail bond, per insured for bail bond claims
- $2,500 limit per insured for identity theft
- Defense costs in addition to liability limits
- Occurrence-based form
- Available to eligible educators nationwide (online enrollment only)
- Underwritten by A.M. Best A+XV Superior rated carrier
- Coverage applies only to the named insured (does not apply to businesses and/or its employees, or to anyone performing instruction on the insured’s behalf), and only to educators of students ages K –12
- $214 annual premium, plus:
- $71 administrative fee for members of educator associations in Texas
- $99 administrative fee for non-members of educator associations in Texas
- $99 administrative fee for non-Texas residents
Private Practice Educators Professional Liability protects the insured from a broad range of exposures associated with private practice.
- Damages resulting from a negligent act, error or omission
- Defense costs (in addition to the limits) in suits alleging negligence, even if the allegations are groundless, false or fraudulent
- Expenses incurred by the insured at the Company’s request in the investigation or defense of a claim or suit including loss of earnings up to $100 per day
The occurrence giving rise to such claims under this policy is simply defined as an event which results in damage to some other person.
The following represent only some of the exclusions contained in the policy.
- Activities of the insured not conducted in his/her professional capacity
- Liability assumed by an insured under any contract or agreement, other than an independent employment agreement
- The rendering, failure to render, teaching or supervising of medical, mental health, psychological, surgical, dental, nursing, or other similar services, except, however, coverage would apply to emergency first aid services rendered by an insured when a school nurse or other medically trained person is not readily available
- Under Coverage A, criminal acts other than corporal punishment
- An intentional act by or at the direction of the insured whether or not resulting damages are intended or foreseeable, except for such damages resulting from corporal punishment of any student administered by or at the direction of the insured
Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is the policy term?
- One year from the date your enrollment for Professional Liability is processed.
2) Is there a deductible?
- There is not a deductible applied to any of the coverage sections.
3) Am I able to add an "additional insured" to my policy?
- Yes, an "additional insured" may be included as an entity which has an insurable interest for claims arising out of your negligence as the named insured. Such possible entities are a school or school district. By providing an entity additional insured status it now is entitled to defense and indemnity (if policy limits have not been exhausted) under your policy with no responsibility for premium payments. You may add one or more entities as an additional insured.
Coverages and exclusions differ by carrier and by state. Specific concerns can be discussed with an underwriter.